Tuesday 13 December 2011

2011: Laura's Records of the Year

Hello world, here's a little update from the pms-friendly part of the Lazy Acre team. You might have read our latest post regarding our records of the year, and though I do agree with it in part (Team Me! Einar Stray! The Antlers!), I thought I should point out that there are a couple of other releases that made my year.

(note: I know Ben will hate me for the very first one on the list, let's just ignore him, okay?)

Bon Iver: Bon Iver
That record was gorgeous and intense and sad. I spent the whole spring and summer with it; in a way, this and Burst Apart (The Antlers) ran parallel to each other, both way more bombastic than their contained, clean and clear predecessors.

M83: Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
the perfect soundtrack to snow falling; sadly, we haven't seen any of that yet. The extra little bonus that makes my heart flutter is the Intro with Zola Jesus' insanely beautiful vocals.

Death Is Not Glamorous: Spring Forward
the album that saved me. DING used to make dirty, raw music, energetic and short punk songs that progressively smothered themselves down to melodic hardcore, with choruses expanding and more intricate instrumentals, wonderful lyrics as always, clearly inspired by literature and seminal bands like One Last Wish. Worth buying alone for the closing track "Defeat Statistics", which is maybe one of the most beautiful songs to have come out this year.

Zola Jesus: Conatus
I saw Zola Jesus for the first time live this year, got wonderful pictures from the barricades, exhausted and sweaty, so this release could not not be on this list.

Patrick Wolf: Lupercalia
among all the deranged and melancholic music to have come out in 2011, this record stands out as a definite upper; it's an album about love, and love, and love, which is what I adore about it most. (also, don't tell anyone, but sometimes it makes me feel like the world is a musical and people will randomly start breaking into song.)


the honorable mentions

Gem Club: Breakers
There is something heartbreaking and at the same time soothing about Gem Club's music, sort of like a cancer cure that makes your heart stop beating for a second. Thumbs up for pianos.


Clara Luzia: Falling Into Place
one of the local releases that meant most to me this year; the perfect production takes nothing away from the "old" Clara Luzia, but rather adds layers to a simple but wonderful album.



I'm sure I've forgotten 90% of the good stuff, I apologize in advance for that.

No comments: