Friday 20 November 2009

Decisions Decisions Decisions

A few days back someone asked me (and indeed our fine array of artists) if wed put together our top ten records of 2009 for a feature they were writing and honestly I've really struggled to seperate em out.

First up on face value its been a grim year for new music; pixie lott, jedward, a million identikit rappers and milkyway R&B stars and that's without even touching the myriad of pop pap coming out of radio one - the saturdays, jonas brothers, ringtones running riot and the smug grin of simon cowell is never far away

Scratch away though and actually 2009 has been pretty fucking immense - richard walters, simon says no!, lisa hannigan - all of deep elms new signing, blakfish - I could go on and on.

And that's without even taking into account the records that have come out this year bearing our little logo - I sometimes wonder how self serving I can get away with being but ultimatley if I've heard a record and loved it enough to put it out, out of my own pocket and eating up my free time - how much more of a seal of approval can I give something?

I therefore will note now that my own top ten features two of our own releases.

As if all of that wasn't enough to send me scuttling to a corner to rock quietly - then I can't even touch eps which is where I've found some of my favourite tuneage this year.

After many drafts and revisions then, here's the top ten I came up with

*in no particular order*

10 - track a tiger - I felt the bullet hit my heart
9 - kevin devine - brothers blood
8 - kambodsja - marionette you are mine
7 - lisa hannigan - sea sew
6 - richard walters - the animal
5 - blakfish - champions
4 - little hands of asphalt - leap years
3 - iko - ludo says hi
2 - crocodiles - crocodiles
1 - kyte - science for the living

That iko isn't out officially out til 2010 and kyte only came out in japan is of no concern - I'm not foing it again!!

Time for a nice cuppa tea!

Lots of love
Lazy ben x

Fyi:

solvor vermeers records of 09? Florence and the machine and bellman.

And here's our beloved jimmy magics:

White denim-Fits
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
Tyondai Braxton - Central Market
Sunn- Monoliths and Dimensions
Hudson Mohawke - Butter
Hyperdub 5 Years of Hyperdub (does that count?)
Them Crooked Vultures
Themselves - Free Houdini
Grizzly Bear- Vecktamist
Claud Von Stroke - Bird Brain
 
"I couldn't separate them in any kind of order, but these are the ones....I think"
 
X
------------------

No comments: